Saturday, January 3, 2009

Road Racing Season 2009

Looking back at the road racings season in 2008 saw me and dad make visits to the IOM for the fifth year to see the best road race event on the planet, the TT. The two main favourites for the TT in 2008 were John McGuniness and Guy Martin. John eneded up winning the big race of the week, the Senior with a titanic battle that went down to the last lap with Cameron Donald. This really was one of the closest races contested at the TT in recent years. Guy on the other hand was plagued by mechanical problems in nearly every race and and left the TT with still no wins at the IOM to his name. Cameron Donald and Brue Anstey were the main men at the TT in 2008.
We also made the ususal trip up to Olivers Mount at Scarborough to see Guy Martin join some of the elite riders that have riden their. He is the only rider in the history of racing at Olivers Mount to win the Gold Cup five years on the trot. The most successful man around the 2.5mile course is Welshman Ian Lougher with a tally of over 100 wins at the circuit.
We also made the trip to Dundrod on the outskirts of Belfast for the Ulster Grand Prix. For the first time in its history it was called off on the day due to flooding. This was a real shame as the Ulster is the faster road circuit of all of them and some of the viewing points looked amazing. Maybe next year!
We also had the sad loss of two top riders in Rober Dunlop, the most successfull man at the North West and Martin Finnegan, one of the most promising riders to come out of Ireland in recent years. It really looked like 2008 would have been a good year for Finnegan following the good start he had to the season.
Most importantly in 2009, i want their to be safe racing with no fatalities. Road racing is the most dangerous sport in the world and the riders dont get the financial or emotional reognition that they deserve. A quote in one paper shortly after Martin Finnegan died said Ronnie O'Sulivan had just won the snooker masters. A weekends work had given him the championship but also the grand prize of £250k. The race Finnegan won before the tragic accident saw him recieve a cheque for £200! There is something wrong here. You could probably take the money away and the riders would still race. They do it for the love and the passion of the sport and thats why road racing still remains such an attractive sport for riders and spectators because over the years, the sport hasnt really changed that much apart from the bikes getting much quicker causing the sport to become more dangerous.
I would really like to see Guy Martin get his first win at the IOM. He deserves it. At such a young age he is very talented rider and is one of the fastest riders around the circuit. I am a strong believer you make your own luck but Guy didnt really have any in 2008. He really needs to ensure that all the bases are covered to have the success in 2009 and Im sure he will. John McGuiness is one of my favourite riders for a number of reasons. I love his passion for the sport, the knowledge he has of the TT, the circuit, the history, the riders and what he needs to do. John wears his heart on his sleeve so you get to see how he is feeling on the inside, on the outside. Because of his knowledge and love of the sport you can see how much winning means to him when he come into the paddock.
My objectives for this year are to again visit the IOM for the sixth year in a row, probably for 3 days to see the Senior Race. Scarborough is a must as its an hours drive away. I would really like to visit Skerries which is on the outskirts on Dublin. This is said to be one of the scariest road racing circuits in Ireland so I would like to visit here. Despite the weather and no racing me and my dad had a great time at Dundrod and if possible I would really like to visit for the racing in 2009.
I am really looking forward to documenting the racing I see onto the blog. This will be a great way of looking back in years to come. I now have my new SLR camera for the 09 season so I will post plenty of pictures from the events I visit. In a few years Id love to be able to have enough quality images to put together a book / compliation based on my experience and love of road racing.
Guy Martin Quote:
"The TT is the best thing in the world - ever. You could win a BSB race and I guess your phone would be red hot for two days and then what?
Win a TT and people remember that. I dont want to go to my grave not having won a TT. I want to win 5 TT's in a week but I have got to win a 6 lap TT if I do nothing else.
Thats passion for you..............................

No comments: