Monday, April 5, 2010

'Citius, Altius, Fortius'



DARE TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE


You have the power to make your life better.

LIVESTRONG DARES help you take charge and make a commitment to improve your lifestyle. Take a dare or give a dare today...........


Need some motivation? Then check out


This is what its all about isnt it? Making changes to your life from what your doing and have come accustomed to and making it better and more fulfilled? After all we are creatures of habbit and love routine but I guess thats the difficulty in been in that routine, coming out of it and doing something different for the better. Sometimes it might be a case of not wanting to change, other times it might be not knowing how to or not knowing of any other change from what we are doing.


Why am I talking about is on a Monday Bank Holiday Easter Weekend? Well its simple, I think I have dared to change so far in 2010 (sound cornie enough!). Here is how.........


1/ Reading - Over the years I have seen reading as a good way of chilling out. The only problem is I havent felt like Ive had that time to read and chill out. I can count on one hand how many books i have read in the last 5 years. I seem to loose interest very quickly and thats probably because I have been reading the wrong books or not had enough time to finish them. 2010 has been different. Race to North Pole has seen me hooked, motivated, inspired and not like me not wanting to put the book down. I can relate to the book, it focuses on the future constantly with setting goals and working towards a specific objective. The book is about doing something that only ahandful of people of done, some that cant be done by everyone and really pushes the boundaries of team work and mental toughness to the limits.
This is something I have changed and will keep the momentum with.


2/ It Biking weather - Over The bank holiday weekend I have clocked up 55 miles. Might not sound alot but with 2 days training at the gym in the same week this is a million miles further ahead from I was this time last year. No road bike and no miles done and couldnt really go out in the gym due to the freezing temperatures. Ben came over today and we went out for just over an hour and did 25 miles. It was great to get back on the road with him and have a good catch up and look at what chalenges we where going to do in 2010.
Coast to Coast non stop looks like the favourite so far. We both really want to do Lands End to J O G but its a time thing. Is that a barrier we put in the way? Having Kids? Not really excuses as these will face us for the rest of our life. Maybe this year is a year for building on last year and 2010 might be a bit to soon for the Thurlow & May Duo?
This is something I have got the momentum with now and will be focusing on keeping it up

3/Momentum at Gym - This year has been like no other gym wise. In the first quarter of 2009 I was plagued with sickness bugs and just couldnt seem to shake them off. Going into 2010 I was concious of this and have made a real effort at the gym training on average 3 times a week at my peak but still going on my busier weeks maybe once or twice. I feel more physically and mentally stronger than I have done in a long time. Instead of just training my upper body Im giving a real focus to my overall body in particular my core, legs and cardio. The gym has also really helped me out on the bike and I fee alot stronger in my legs.

I have done a significant amount more this year than last and its creating a great foundation for my training as a whole in 2010

4/ Work Life Balance - What I am most happiest about is the fact that I have had the busiest start to the year to my work with CCE since i joined but I have really tried to not work late in an evening, every evening which has historically been the case. I like to be on top of things and action things as soon as possible (which can sometimes be a contrast to outside of work which I am aware of!) I guess i am using more hours in the day that I didnt previously.

Finally, from a work quote, "Embrace and Drive Change." Change is a common happening in our world, sometimes it comes when we expect it, sometimes when we dont, we can be happy when it happens and not so happy as well. Ultimately change happens for a reason. If you stand still, you will get over taken or not move any further forward. Everyones different, but in the pursuit of having a life full of ambitions that are fulfilled is all about embracing that change in taking ownership of driving new challenges in your life.

What will you dare to change in your life today or this week?

Make it now for the better..........

1 comment:

Ben G said...

Nice work Paul. Beginning of April and you are in a good place. Be consistent and do it frequently, that seems to work for me for most things, training, relationships, family, work. Let's get out for a spin real soon.

Keep up the good work

Ben