Friday, December 25, 2009

The Decade in review....................2001

In terms of reflecting on defining moments and milestones that have happened in my life, 2001 has to be the year that has provided the foundations of where I am in my life in 2009 and where I will be in the future. I am a strong believer you get out what you put in. Saying that, the journey is alot longer if you are a busy fool so its important to ensure you prioritise and doing things as effectively as possible which I feel I have tried to do and am constantly striving to do better.

They say that the three biggest worries people have are;

1. Relationship problems

2. Financial problems

3. Work/Career problems

In 2001, I made significant steps onto the ladders of each of the above which at the time I probably didn't realise how significant they would be in playing a part in my life for the long term.

In terms of relationships I had met Nikki. I don't remember at the time thinking long term about our relationship. We where having a great time and enjoying the time we spent together but where still quite independent. At the start of 2001 Nikki went to Australia for the month of January to her friend Jane's wedding. That 4 weeks felt like a life time and I feel that the time apart brought us closer together. It was probably after this point I started thinking more longer term.

In terms of Financial, I had seen my way through University and graduating in 2001 been debt free. This is largely down to my mum and dad supporting me all the way through my University life. They bought me a car (my little white vw polo) which got to Uni and back and to my job in Leeds and back 4 times a week. On that note, I used to earn £5.00 an hour. Work 4 hours so £20. The cost of petrol, parking, lunch and a drink after work usually resulted in it costing me work!!!!! Wouldn't have ever changed it though.

My mum and dad where awesome in supporting me and ensuring I got off on the right foot with no financial worries and I cant thank them enough for that because without that, I wouldn't be where I am now.



I graduated from Uni in May 2001. Me and my best buddy Ben then hit Thailand for a months traveling with our back packs. What a month we spent traveling! It was an action packed month that has stuck with me until now and something that plays a big part of my long term plan in terms of what I want to do when i retire.

Bangkok
Me and Ben drove down to Heath row to catch a flight to Bangkok. We spent a couple of nights in the heavily polluted, busy and action packed city. We ate from street vendors, went to sex shops to see women pop 8 ping pong balls out their passages and fire darts from their door number twos bursting balloons. My eyes where seriously opened after a night watching them!!!
Chang Mai

A couple of nights in the big smoke was enough and we headed on a 12 hour bus drive to Chang Mai in northern Thailand. We spent just under a week here which involved a three day trek of elephant riding, bamboo rafting, staying with tribes in the middle of nowhere and meeting up with some great people. After a week spent in Chang Mai in sampling the hot springs, nightlife of the markets and the awesome food it was time for us to head down to the southern islands of Thailand for some island hopping.
The journey down there consisted of another 12 hour bus ride down to Bangkok followed by another 12 hour bus ride through the night down to the east coast of Surratani to get a 3 hour ferry out to the island of Ko Phang Yang.

Ko Phang Yang

What a place this is! We spent just under a week here sampling the chilled out island that changed for 24 hours with the start of the Moonlight Party once a month. This amazing event takes place once a month under a full moon. The party is awesome and has been a mecca for travellers since the early nineties and then became a global dance music festival that is today attracting thousands of visitors from every walk of life. The event is basically stretched over a beautiful beach with all ends of the spectrum of music from hard core dance to chilled out tunes. It attracts thousands of people and the atmosphere is fantastic listening to music, on the beach watching the sun come come up and go down whilst having a few buckets is pretty awesome and nothing quite like it. Something to be repeated with the kids one day i think...........

One important milestone that happened on this island for me was getting my University degree results. Before setting off for the trip I had sat all my final exams and was expecting the results through the post whilst I was away and it happened to be when on the island of Ko Pang Yang. I remember me and Ben getting a couple of bikes and taking off to the other end of the island which was spectacular. It still sticks in my mind that day. I remember thinking when on the bike (with no helmet and in my shorts and flip flops!) for the 25 Min's that I was having such an amazing time here but if my i didn't get a minimum of a 2:2 grade it would really spoil the whole trip and I would be extremely disappointed. I remember finding a pat phone and akin the call to my mum who had recieved the results. She gave me the great news that overall I had achieved a 2:2. I was over the moon, mainly because I feel i had completed my Business & Marketing degree by obtaining a 2:2 but equally important I had got the relevant work experience that supported my CV in looking for my career.
The remainder of the traveling trip was spent backpacking the islands of Ko Samui and Ko Toa. Ko Toa was an amazing little island. We stayed in a little shack on the island of Ko Toa that cost about £3.20 per night that looked out over the sea. This was so relaxing, peaceful and had spectacular scenery with small islands surrounding the main island that where access able by taxi boat.
Ko Samui was more commercial and I dread to think what it would be like today. A funny story happened whilst on the island which in reflecting upon was funny, but not at the time for me!

With three days to go till our flight back to the UK, I decided to stay on the island of Samui one extra day while Ben got a bus back to Bangkok. Earlier that week we had been in to order a tux which where so reasonably priced that we couldnt resist buying one. I had paid the deposit for the suit and was due to pick up on the day I was leaving. I woke up the morning before i was due to set off back to Bangkok and went to get some money out to pay for the suit and get back to bangkok via the bus. I only had a small bit of change on me and took the walk down to the cash point. After several attempts the cash point would not allow me to get any money out. Oh shit I thought, here I am stuck on a small island off the coast of Asia with no money and no ticket to get back to bangkok! I first of all rang my dad with the little money I had whos response was well if you cant get money make sure you get the trousers for suit you have paid the deposit for, Really helpful! My mum on the other hand after a couple of trips to the Halifax worked her magic in putting some additional funds into my account. It is not something that can usually be done from the UK to other countries that transfers are available to be withdrawn from instantly, but my Mum as usual worked her magic and the following morning as I took yet another walk down to the cash point, their was money available for me to withdraw! What would we do without our Mums eh!

She was extremely relieved once I returned home safely which I did!

That is the real attraction for me and the diversity of Thailand. The combination of the hustle and bustle of one of the busiest, most polluted, hot, cultural capitals of the world. The thought of visiting Bangkok just excites me so much but when I know wen I get there I just cant stay any longer than a couple of days just purley because of the intensity of the place. A one hour flight can get you to Chang Mai in northern Thailand. Tribes living in the forest are so isolated to the point that they have never ventured outside their tribal areas and into the big city. You are then presented with some of the most beautiful and tranquil islands in the world in Ko Pang Yang, Ko Samui, Ko Toa and Ko Phi Phi to name a few.

For me, I know this month spent away traveling only touched the tip of the ice berg in terms of what is out there, but for me it lit a flame inside that is has given me the ambition to want to travel the world and explore what else is out there. Writing this blog now 10 years on from when I visited that fire inside me is still burning and I can wait to take off traveling again with Nikki and the girls.................
Below
Me returning from Thailand and receiving a bottle of Moet from my Mum and Dad in way of congratulations on graduation.


The Start of my Career with CCE

And my R reg Vauxhal Combo with 60k miles on the clock and a top speed of 74mph (downhill)


I had the traveling bug and came back home with two options. The first one was to book a flight and start that traveling bug again. This was so tempting after the great time over the last month but I had spent the last three years studying and working part time and I knew in the back of mind that I did want to get on the working ladder so I gave my self a deadline. Give it 2 months and if I dont find anything then look at setting off traveling.
Below
An apprehensive looking me taken before I set off for my interview with CCE.




When at Uni I spent a great deal time looking into companies, registering with with online recruitment agencies and generally been quite specific in what i applied for and what I was looking for. I wanted to join an fmcg company that had career prospects and job security. Having posted my CV to countless number of recruitment agencies I got invited to an interview with Michael Page recruitment in Park Row in Leeds. Following an interview with them I got selected to go for an interview for Coca Cola Enterprises as a Sales Development Representitve in Sheffield. Following the interview I was successful and got offered the job covering East Leeds, Castleford and Pontefract. I was over the moon. I had realised my ambition of getting a job from Uni to work for an fmcg company in Leeds.
This was a significant change in my life. The start of new job, moving out of home at the age of 21 and moving over to Leeds which also allowed me to be closer to Nikki.

3/09/2001 was my start with Coca Cola Enterprises.

After growing very found of my vauchal combo they decided to replace the fleet with the astra van.





As soon as i found out about the job I started looking for a house straight away. As a country we where in the middle of the Boom period with inflation rising and with property prices shooting through the roof, literally. I wanted to get on the ladder as soon as possible and after looking at city centre appartments and other properties in and around Leeds I found the perfect place in Robin Hood on the outskirs of Leeds. I purchased the house for £55,000. It was a two bedroomed spacious terraced house with a garage and good sized back garden but was in need of some desperate updating from the bright yellow skirting boards to the jungle of a back garden.

First step onto the property ladder
I was over the moon with my purchase but this could not have possible with out the support of my mum and dad and Grandma and Grandad. They had set up trust funds for me and my sister and paid into them on a regualr basis from a young age which allowed me to put a deposit on this house. 49 Bryony Court, Leeds. Without this I could have potentially not got a mortgage. My monthly mortgage payments on a £50k mortgage where £220 per month! Interest rates where at rock bottom so there was no excuse not to get o the property market.
The purchase of the property went through really quick and I had moved into the house within 3months. I was still very much seeing Nikki but always wanted to purchase my own house and at the time I guess we both didnt want to rush into anything.

I spent a good few months sorting the house out, cleaning, painting gardening to get the house back up to scratch in terms of the way it looked. The previous owner had had a dog so I put new carpets and wood flooring down which made a massive difference in giving it a newer fresher look. I was to live in the house for a year before selling and moving in with Nikki in 2002.



So theres 2001, in a nutshell Graduating, Thailand, New job, First home and moving closer to my girlfriend Nikki, what would 2002 hold..................

No comments: